History of the town
A town with a rich history, Želiezovce is located in the southern part of the Levice district, on the right bank of the Hron River. The oldest written document mentioning Želiezovce dates back to 1075 and appears in connection with information on the Želiezovce property of the Benedictine Monastery in Hronský Beňadik. From 1347 the owners of Želiezovce became Töttöš a Vesszőš, the two sons of Imrich Bescey, the warden of Levice Castle. They had permanent ownership of approximately 50 settlements in the region of Dolné Pohronie, all of which had been administered from Želiezovce. In 1543, when the Turks invaded and took over Estergom, a Turkish administrative district, a „sanjac” was established, and fees were imposed on all the settlements within its reach, includin Želiezovce. Since Želiezovce had no city walls, in 1599 Tartars plundered it. After the Turkish war ended, in the middle of the 18 Century, Želiezovce gained the charakter of a craft and agricultural town and was different from neighboring settlements. In 1790 a manor house with four wings and an internal court was built here.
In 1923 Želiezovce became a district seat. As a result of the Vienna Verdict it became a part of Horty ´s Hungary from the beginning of November 1938 and lasting for six years. It gained town status in 1960. The Roman Catholic Church of St. James has an altar, whose foundation is made by a sacophagus of a Roman soldier, and valuable frescos of the Töttös. Želiezovce is a town, which in spite of its history, filled with war and plundering and the hard work of people toiling in narrow fields, will charm you not only by the beauty of its surroundings, but also by its historical sites, many of which are recorded in the Central Register of Cultural and Historical Sites of the Slovak Republic.
(31 January 1797, Vienna – November 19, 1828, Vienna)
Franz Schubert was born into a poor family of teachers. Even as a nine year old soprano sang, played the violin and composed songs smaller. In 1808 he became a student and a member of the imperial Konvikt Boys Choir court band. His stay in Konvikt lasted five years. Later he worked as an assistant at the school his father. This service is performed grudgingly, but more intensely devoted himself to composing. My whole life is still surrounded by friends. After leaving home was quite dispossessed, but thanks to the hospitality of friends could be investing in composing activities. Poor financial situation forced him to give music lessons, and therefore accepted a position at the John Charles, Count Esterhazy. Earl the rank butler belonged to the royal court, and is familiar with Schubert in Vienna. In 1818 he was invited to his summer residence in Zeliezovce. The local Schubert first stay lasted from July 7 to about 19 November 1818 After returning to Vienna remained remain in contact with the Esterházy. After six years just this contact provided for the re-invitation to Želiezoviec the months of May to December in 1824 We can assume that at this time of the emotional relationship between him and the young Countess Carolina.
During his first stay he wrote 16 or 17 songs. Prolific was his second Želiezovce stay. During this he composed another 10 songs.
Schubert led the life of a bohemian artist, which undermined his health. He died at age 31 years, and his grave is at the Vienna Central cemetery.
Franz Schubert during his short life composed 965 songs. His melodies are simple, but deeply emotional. Composed the verses of Goethe, Schiller, Heine and others. He wrote songs for piano, composed a few waltzes and choral singing, known as his Symphony
Local Museum and Memorial Room Of Franz Schubert
The Local Museum of Zeliezovce and the Memorial Room of Franz Schubert has opened on the 15th of May in 2010 in the ,,Baglyos ház”.From 1970 until its recent realization of renovation the Franz Schubert Memorial Room had operated as an affiliated department of the Barsi Museum of Levice.
Currently, the Museum of Zeliezovce and the Franz Schubert Memorial Room documets not only the life of the famous composer, but also presents the rich history of the town and its region.
The Baglyos ház was bulit in classicist style at the beginning of the 19th century as one of the premises belonging to the Esterhazy castle. Janos Karoly Esterhazy marked it out to be a teacher’s residence. Franz Schubert also lived here during the time he spent in Zeliezovce. At the entry there is a still stove situated, which used to be the part of the castle’s furniture. The water-color ont he wall along with a black and white photograph, portraying countess Ernestina Breunner also testifies the fact above.Right next to the picture they placed the piece of stove from the room Franz Schubert was staying at.
The first room of the exhibition introduces a coin collection that was found in the region, as well as original finds from prehistoric-, stone, bronze and Roman age. In spite of the fact,that the first written record of the town dates back to 1274, these antiquties prove, that the area had been inhibited for a very long time (the first written record of Garammikola dates back to 1075, of Szobo to 1156). It’s not coincidental, that the finds explored in the area from the neolit age, in the period between 4300 and 3900 Bc. are worldwide known as the Zeliezovce group.
Coins, group find from the 17th century. Coins from the period between the 1st century and the beginning of the 20th century, molding froms for hatchets from the bronze age. Unique find in Slovakia.
Domestic tools from the bronze age.
The exhibition of the first room documents the history of Zeliezovce till the medival. The story of Gyorgy Vesszos Becsei of Zseliz is about the St. Jacob church and its frescos and Roman sarcophagus, which is still the pedestal of the altar.
The second room records the life of the Esterhazy family in the castle. The exhibition includes their personal articles, a handmade globe, toys and books. The documents on the wall introduce Franz Sacher, the inventor of the famous cake. He was invited to Zelizovce by Janos Karoly Esterhazy. Also, we see documents about Agoston Fischer –Colbrie, born in Zeliezovce, the bishop of Kosice, the one who ordained Jozef Tiso. Finally the documents of the exhibition display the history of the castle along with the sunken castle and the wooden castle, which no longer exits.
Currency from the era of Franz Schubert, verkli-„pathephone”
The room on the second floor was occupied by Franz Schobert. The room is furnished with contemporary furniture, which also intends to present the composer’s life and his work. Anyone familiar with the composer’s oeuver is well aware, that many of his famus pieces were composed here and his impressions of the time spent in zeliezovce reflect in his music.
Franz Schubert (1797-1828) worked as the music teacher of the daughter of Janos Karoly Esterhazy in years 1818 and 1824.
The third room on the ground floor displays the first ajd second world war. After the tower of the catholic church went off, the pieces of the bell were collected and later placed into this room. Also, the exhibition presents armor, personal articles of the Jewish citizens, who returned from the concentration camps
I. and II. World War
Jewish culture during the II. World War